It was harder than I anticipated because not only was I going to be judged by classmates, but also family. With the first round of sketches done, my classmates were able to steer me closer to a design direction. I knew my sketches would come to life once they were translated digitally. So I began to crank out digital variations of my sketches, using my type choices and colors from my selected palette. My focused was on three looks. First, was to create a custom “M” based off of the original sign from the shop; It was created by my grandfather, the original owner, and it seemed a proper way to add history to the brand. Second was to create a vintage-inspired lockup that could merge both the visual and historic aspects of the shop with new typography. The last option was to include a holding shape that would give the logotype the vintage vibe that I felt was needed for this brand identity.
I went with the “M” idea. The only reservation was that it was looking too similar to a sports or beer logo as a singular letter, so I needed to incorporate the entire name. In the existing sign, the “Mega” name was created from jig saw cut plastic; It was imperfect, hand done, small and unique. It was never given any real prominence. I wanted to maintain the history of that icon while creating a refreshed and updated version. I customized the “M” based off of the image from the actual awning sign. I cleaned up the letterforms, making them more fluid. I also found a complementary typeface that would accent the ”M”. It was all coming together. For the finishing touches after the type was completed, I placed it in the hexagon shape.