- Human Resource Intranet PortalResearch and Redesign
- SituationA large grocery chain was seeking to improve the experience of using the corporate intranet portal.
- Users felt the system lacked organization
- Some users chose not to engage with the system at all
Design Research conducted:
- Interviews with corporate human resource managers
- Interviews with store managers
- Interviews with corporate employees
- Interviews with store employees
- Review of usage metrics and existing documentation of the system
- Industry Research to identify best practices
- Card Sort to understand user-preferred labels and categories
- Task Analysis to understand common users tasks
- Allow users to locate documents quickly
- Allow users to complete tasks
- Improve the experience of using the human resource portal
- Communicate human resource messages to employees
- Meets the needs of both corporate and store personal.
- Card Sort MethodologyTask Based Questions
Organization and Labeling Questions
- Sort tasks in order of frequency
- Identify important tasks
- Eliminate tasks not performed
- Add tasks not represented
- Match tasks to current categories
- Re-label categories
- Create new categories
- Organize content
- System Roles and FunctionsA summary of the various users and their access to different types of information within the intranet portal.
- Splash Screen WireframeA splash screen was created to allow non logged in users to access public informational messages from outside the company firewall. Users would be able to keep up to date on the latest human resource messages without the need for login.In this example, the background has been modified to show a theme: Breast Cancer Awareness. Allowing theme updates to the splash page allows users to see a constantly refreshed page. This gives users the feeling that content on the site is up to date and current.
- Team Member Lookup WireframeAllows managers to choose a team member profile to edit.
- Managers can click on a team member profile to select.
- Managers can switch to a new manager action using a drop down menu.
- Actions available are relevant to the section the user is in.
- Manager Actions include: view profile, view personal data, modify data, team member job history, job history, emergency contact information, visa permit data and compensation history.