The initial request was to update the graphic look only. As my team dug deeper and had more meetings, it became increasingly clear that graphical changes alone wouldn't help their long-term goals of customer satisfaction and retention. We offered to show our clients a different approach--one we felt would be more in line with a broader solution to their long-term goals and current problems.
At this point, we did an extensive series of wireframes to illustrate how we felt we could best be of service. I felt that a visual refresh alone could not properly address their needs. They needed a cohesive look at the experience as a whole. We wanted to show them a design solution that helped to move their business goals forward, while still updating the general look and feel.
The wireframes generally looked like this:
Though hesitant to do more that just graphical updates at first, when they saw our work on the information architecture, user flow, experience, and usability they caught the vision and quickly became strong collaborators. Their excitement fueled the next rounds of research and refinement.
We used detailed wireframes to map out interaction methods, refine placement and scale, illustrate user flow, and clarify information architecture. Based on the wireframes, the client was able to visualize and respond to the interface revisions and interactions, as well as rapidly refine the concepts.
The final designs drew from the research and clarification process. We created an entirely new approach to productivity applications centered around the Covey methodology.
Below are a few shots of the final application designs: