- ABOUT SWEETWATER BREWERY'S "BREW YOUR CASK OFF" EVENT:Voted Small Brewery of the Year at the Great American Beer Festival and winning the World Beer Cup for their lineup of drinks, SweetWater Brewery in Atlanta, GA excels in crafting excellent beer. Annually, they hold a Brew Your Cask Off ale festival at their headquarters to invite other retailers, home-brew clubs, media groups and non-profit organizations in the metro Atlanta area to join in and celebrate high quality, uniquely crafted brews.DESIGN APPROACH:The design of the event's identity needed to feel hand-crafted in order to celebrate the unique cask creations of the festival while also denoting the elements of rustic class and refinement that are part of a great Southern event.ALL EVENT PHOTOGRAPHS SHOWN BELOW COURTESY OF MICHAEL PODRID. USED WITH PERMISSION.
- ILLUSTRATING THE KEY ART:
Hand-drawn illustrations were created for the key art of the campaign: one large illustration of an old, wooden cask (with festival and SweetWater branding on the side) in a lush Southern forest to act as a header for collateral, and secondary illustrations of a scroll (to contain subheadline copy content) and the top of a cask in a leafy seal (to use as a smaller icon in various applications where the large header is not appropriate).
Once the illustrations were finished, they were applied to a layer of antique paper set over a dark tobacco-stained wood texture. A lockup for the event's title was created as well as a grid for all of the participating brewing organizations.
The key art was carried across to the front of a postcard design. The reverse side features all of the retailers, home-brew clubs, media and non-profit organizations brewing at the festival.
- CASE TUCKER:
Another component of the overall print collateral was a case tucker with a fold-down flap to insert into cases so that they could be wrapped in the event's key art.
- A custom poster was created for each of the retailers, home-brew clubs, media and non-profit organizations that would be creating casks for the festival. These custom posters were distributed to each of the brewers to place as unique advertisements in their establishments.
- A custom poster was created for each of the casks at the festival - announcing its brewer, the cask's title, and its number.
- OFFICIAL FESTIVAL PROGRAM:
An eight-page, bi-fold brochure given to all event attendees, the program detailed each cast at the festival as well as contained advertising placement. Special thanks to Josh Guss of Sirtin Studios for taking the style guide and creating the vector for the festival map!
- T-SHIRT DESIGN:
The key art was also turned into a design for the event's apparel. Special thanks to Rusty Thomas in the Art Dept. of PTS Screen Printing in Norcross for handling the application of the illustration to the shirts!
- CUSTOM MURAL, GIVEN TO THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CASK WINNER:
Upon receiving one of the posters, William Adeimy of Xorbia Tickets contacted myself and Steve Farace with interest in commissioning a local artist to re-create the event's key art as a mural to be given to the People's Choice Cask Winner. Justin Berent, the muralist, did an amazing job of taking the initial design and creating the following piece for the event!
- EVENT WEB SITE DESIGN:
Also created was a design for the event's website that incorporated the key artwork of the branding. Special thanks to Shaun Duncan for handling the site's development and implementation!
- DIGITAL ADVERTISING, CREATIVE LOAFING (CLATL.COM)
Digital ad units were also created for placement on Creative Loafing's website.
- SPECIAL THANKS:Festival Promoter & Principal, Happy Ending Productions: Jennifer BenschDirector of Marketing, SweetWater Brewery: Steve FaraceHype Promos: Kristina Finigan GeskeOperations Director: Jill GoochCommunications, SweetWater Brewery: Francesca ZeifmanEvent Photographer: Michael PodridFestival Map Designer: Josh GussWebsite Developer: Shaun Duncan
T-Shirt Design: Rusty Thomas, PTS Screen PrintingPrinting: Ryan Cooper, President, Digital Marketing Services, Inc.William Adeimy, Xorbia Tickets, and Justin Berent, MuralistThe SweetWater Interns